Sunday, May 10, 2009

Trotter's Lobster Salad Recipe

Here's a recipe from the The Kitchen Sessions with Charlie Trotter Lobster chapter:

Tropical Fruit and Lobster Salad with Black Pepper-Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette

The sweetness and acid present in most tropical fruits are a tremendous complement to the lush meatiness of lobster or other shellfish such as shrimp or scallops. The Black Pepper-Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette provides a tropical sensuality and a pleasant, cutting heat, and watercress adds the cleansing quality needed to keep the fruit, lobster, and vinaigrette in perfect balance. This dish would be great for an outdoor luncheon on a hot summer day.

Serves 4

2 1-pound lobsters, boiled and shelled
Black Pepper-Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette
Salt and pepper
4 cups watercress
1 guava
1/2 mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1/8 papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1 cup 1/8-inch-thick pineapple wedges
1/4 cup tiny fresh mint leaves
1 passion fruit, halved and pulp reserved

Method-- To prepare the lobster: Cut the lobster claws in half and slice the lobster tail into 1/2-inch-thick medallions. Toss hte lobster meat with enough of the Black Pepper-Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette to coat the lobster. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

To prepare the watercress: Toss the watercress with 1 tablespoon of the Black Pepper-Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper.

To prepare the guava: Cut the peel off of the guava keeping the natural shape intact. Cut thin slices from the outside of the guava, removing any seeds from the guava slices.

To prepare the salad: Toss together the watercress, mango, papaya, pineapple, and guava in a small bowl.

Assembly-- Place some of the salad in the center of each plate. Arrange the lobster knuckle and tail meat down the center of the salad and top with a lobster claw half. Sprinkle a few of the mint leaves around the plates and spoon some of the Black Pepper-Vanilla Bean Vinaigretts over the lobster and around the plates. Spoon the passion fruit pulp around the plates.

Black Pepper-Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette

Try this with grilled shrimp or lobster.

Yield: 1 cup

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Pulp of 1 vanilla bean
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup olive oil

Method-- Combine the lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, vanilla, and black pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the canola and olive oils. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.

3 comments:

  1. Vanilla and lobster - I would not have thought I'd see these two ingredients in one recipe. Have you made this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made it, but I am craving it anyway! I love lobster salad, but it's too rich with mayonnaise because the lobster is already substantial in its way. I think I have posted way too much on lobster. I must be craving it a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be time for you to have some, so go for it! I had some crab legs yesterday, and even with all the work involved in getting to the meat, it tasted wonderful and I felt it was well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete