
In True Tuscan (HarperCollins, 2005), Cesare Casella writes:
antipasti, mostly having to do with foods designed to
stimulate the appetite or somehow prepare the diner
for the meal that follows. My own theory is that it's
all about social order, that appetizers are a way of
showing how refined a diner or his host is ... I'm no
blueblood, but I am a true believer in multiple
courses. The trick, of course, is to serve food well,
without overwhelming yourself with too much work or
your guests with too much food.
I can't tell you what a revelation this was for me to read. Now, I will have a party with only small plated dishes, or I will have a regular dinner party, but I do not often make appetizers for my dinner parties. We once had a visiting researcher from Mexico, and I made an appetizer when we had him over for dinner, but that was one of only a few times I combined the two. As it is, my husband and I are both university faculty and I have all of a sudden realized that, for certain crowds, it would be the thing to do. And what fun to do something a little more extravagant than usual.
By
I have done a few parties similar to that (and I once did a dessert party that was elaborate, but lost on my college-age friends at the time) and I dream about putting together another one.
Until
then, I will just start to think up a menu. And I'll give you a fun recipe from The Pooh Party Book (Dutton, 1971) that would be elegant for a party.Violet Honey Sauce for Ice Cream or Cake
1-2 large bunches of violets
1 pint jar with lid
boiling water
2 lemons, juiced
1 teaspoon water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- If you live where violets grow, then you can make this delicious Honey Sauce for cake and ice cream.
- Wash the violets and remove the stems.
- Pack the violet blossoms into the jar. Fill it full.
- Cover the violet blossoms with boiling water and let stand for 24 hours.
- Strain the violet water and add the lemon juice.
- In a teaspoon of water over a low flame, mix the sugar and honey together until syrupy.
- Add the violet water and lemon juice.
- This is a delicious sauce which you can thicken with the cornstarch, over low heat, if you like.
who saw Piglet first. Piglet had
got up early that morning to pick
himself a bunch of violets.
From The House at Pooh Corner
Aside from a few elegant parties, and gatherings where only drinks and hors douevres were served, I do not recall having had much experience with appetizers. My sister loved getting appetizers whenever we went out to dinner, and expect for those occasions with her, I usually skip this treat. You make them sound so enticing, I'm sure to pause when dining out to consider the appetizers. Pooh is always a treat, too. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteA good memory of A.E. Thanks for reading, RED.
ReplyDelete